Established in 1914, St. Josaphat’s Church has been a home for Ukrainan Catholics in Northeast Philadelphia.
Services were first held in St. John Cantius Church in Bridesburg. Parishoners would meet in rooms rented in private homes. Soon afterward, more room was needed, and collections and fundraisers began for the buiding or purchasing of a church.
Rev. Volodymyr Petriwsky was named the first pastor of St. Josaphat’s Church in February 1915. Father Petriwsky deserves great acknowledgement for the growth and development of the parish. He established various church-affiliated organizations, such as an evening school, a course for the illiterate, and an English Language course. Rev. Petrivsky left the parish in an expanding state in June of 1924.
The original St. Josaphat Church bought 1916.
On August 19, 1917 the blessing of the new bell took place. The bell was named at athe blessing after Bishop Stephen Soter Ortynsky. On November 25, 1921, Metropolitan Andrew Sheptytsky, Servant of God, visited the parish.
The church hall was erected in 1926. Its cornerstone was blessed by Most Reverend Bishop Constantine Bohachevsky. During the building of the parish hall, under the influence of external agitation, misunderstandings arose among the faithful and some parishoners without a firm faith left the faith of their ancestors by leaving our church.
St. Josaphat’s Parish Hall, erected 1926-1929.